I dare you to try stopping at just one…A refreshing treat any time of the day!
Cook Time12-15 minutes
ServesMakes 30 Sandwiches
- 220g unsalted butter, softened, in pieces
- 80g icing sugar, sifted
- 220g plain flour, sifted, plus more to dust
- 100g ground almonds
- FOR THE PASSION FRUIT FILLING
- 3 passion fruits, with ripe, crinkly skins
- 150g double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar, sifted, or to taste, plus more to dust
- 5cm heart-shaped cutter
1. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
2. To make the biscuits, simply place the butter and icing sugar into the bowl of a food mixer (or a large bowl and use an electric whisk), and cream together well.
3. Add the flour and ground almonds gradually, mixing between each addition, until the dough binds together. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
4. Lightly flour a work top and roll out the dough to about 3 – 4mm thick. Using the heart-shaped cutter, cut out the biscuits, close together, then re roll and continue until all the dough is used. (I cut 60). At this point, you can freeze the cut out biscuits.
5. Place the biscuits, well spaced out, on the lined baking trays and bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
6. Leave on the trays for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The hearts will keep well for a few days in an airtight container, but of course are at their best when freshly baked.
7. When ready to serve, cut the passion fruits in half and scoop the seeds and pulp into a bowl. Whip the double cream until thickened, fold in the passion fruit and sweeten to taste with the icing sugar. Use to sandwich the biscuits together. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Copyright (c) Fiona Cairns, 2013. Photography by Dan Jones. Extracted from SEASONAL BAKING by Fiona Cairns published by Orion Publishing